Scripture and Emotional Wellness
Joy in Unprecedented Times
Joy does not come from external conditions. It comes from an internal confidence that God is at work and in total control.
Apostle Paul was proof that we can have joy regardless of circumstances around us. Paul’s letter to the church in Philippi is one of joy and he wrote the letter while he was bound as a prisoner in Rome! The secret of his joy was what is known as ‘single mindedness.’ Paul lived for Christ and the gospel. He rejoiced and glorified Christ in spite of his circumstances.
For the last few months we have lived in a world of chaos and confinement. The news media adds to these troublesome times by delivering conflicting reports. Amidst all this stress and confusion there are 6 things we can put into action to keep joy in our life:
1) Surrender our mind to the Lord. Romans 12:1-2 reads ‘…present your bodies a living sacrifice…And be not conformed to this world, but transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good, and acceptable and perfect will of God.’
2) Allow the Holy Spirit to renew our mind through daily reading and meditating on
the Word of God.
3) Pray daily. Through daily prayer we can ask God to give us single mindedness as
we live for Christ and the gospel.
4) Think on our thoughts. If we find ourself losing joy, stop and think on the thoughts
going through our mind.
5) Guard the gates of our mind by ‘taking every thought captive’ and lining it up with
God’s Word. Philippians 4:8 reads ‘Whatsoever things are true…honest…just…
pure…lovely…of a good report…think on these things.’ We cannot cultivate unkind,
impure, unhealthy thoughts. We must deal with them immediately so they will not rob
us of our joy.
6) Fill our mind with Scripture. The most effective way to keep joy in our lives is to
fill our mind with the Word of God.
Joy is a way of glorifying Christ and as we glorify Christ, we manifest Christ to
others. The end result will always be JOY!
Vickie Hodges is a UPCI licensed minister with 35 years experience in Early Childhood Education and Brain Development Research. She is the author of LIFE (Living In Freedom EVERYDAY) Recovery Series. Vickie is a trainer and speaker at seminars, retreats, conferences and universities.
VickieHodgesSharingLIFE@gmail.com (281) 489-0055